How to read these blogs....

HOW TO READ THESE BLOGS...

In most cases, I don't write the recipes, I tell you how it went, what to be aware of, how to make them or, maybe even make them better. Sometimes I just want you to understand why I came to the decision to toss the puppies! That said, reviewing the recipe as you read my blog should be the most enlightening way to make sense of it all. It definitely will answer questions and help you avoid the same mistakes I made....and I always make some. Error goes hand in hand with the trial part of the process. Embrace it! Because you can't avoid it. Errors are the 'cracked eggs' of the soufflé. Now let's have some fun...

(fyi YELLOW FOLDER recipes are 'Keepers'...watch for the YF tag accompanying these recipes)

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Fettuccini Alfredo




For years I made my own version of ‘Alfredo’ sauce based on a roux (flour based sauce) that my mother always used for her Chicken Tetrazzini dish. It is a wonderful dish and the kids love it...but we’ll go there another day. Today we’re in search of a classic Alfredo sauce.

Never completely satisfied with the results when I tried to translate that old recipe to a classic Alfredo dish, I finally gave in and did some research. Imagine my delight when I found out that the classic Alfredo sauce is surprisingly simple-I mean easy! But, sadly, it can also be VERY high in fat, and, well, frankly, kind of bland. But of course, I love a challenge!

My new version, gleaned from the bits and pieces of the many recipes I found, sticks to the simplicity of the original, but, as Emeril Lagasse would say, kicks it up a notch! So, BAM! Here you go!

Fettuccini Alfredo (serves 2)

Ingredients:

1/2 lb. Fettuccini

3 Tb. Butter

2 cups Half and Half (classic Alfredo uses heavy cream-don’t you feel thinner already?!)

1 1/2 Tsp. chopped Garlic

1/2 cup white wine (think Riesling or Pinot Grigio-avoid Chardonnay, I am no fan of the stuff and it generally leaves a bad aftertaste in cooked food. Yes, you can make this without the wine, and really, don’t you know the alcohol cooks off by now? But a complexity of flavor remains.)

1 1/2 cups shredded or shaved Parmesan (Use grated if that’s all you have. Fresher is better-the larger and fresher the pieces, the stronger the taste on your pasta. This is one place where the ‘good stuff’ really pays off!)

1/2 cup chopped Italian Parsley

Salt and Pepper to taste (go light on the salt until you HAVE tasted it-remember, once you go salty, there’s no going back! But if you like pepper, don’t be shy!)

Optional: 1/4 Tsp. crushed red pepper (this is for the folks who love all things spicy!)

Melt the butter in a 10 or 12 inch saucepan over medium low heat. Add cream and wine, stir and simmer for a few minutes to heat, then add the garlic, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then simmer until the volume reduces down by about a third to half-it will be thicker, and easily coat a spoon (see picture). DON’T do this on high heat, stick to medium and stir regularly. It will take about 10 minutes. I know, we’re all taught to that we shouldn’t let milk come to a boil or it will curdle...no worries here, just stick with the easy simmer and don’t overdo it.

Meanwhile...once the sauce is bubbling, you can get your pasta cooking. Remember to salt your water, and follow package directions. In high altitude, you will need at least a couple extra minutes in the boiling water to get to the right amount of al dente-just keep tasting in the last 2-3 minutes and you’ll get the hang of it!

Once your sauce and pasta are ready, drain the pasta, pour the sauce over it and toss lightly, then divide the fettuccini into two pasta dishes. Sprinkle half of the parmesan on top of one dish and the rest on top of the other. Ditto the Italian Parsley. I like one last fresh grind of pepper as well-you may too!

Pour yourself of glass of that wine, accompany with some garlic bread and a salad. Enjoy!

Optionals....because this is the kind of recipe that begs to be messed with!

Want Chicken Alfredo? Pick up a Deli chicken at the store, tear off some white and dark meat (a mix is nice-about 2/3 to 1 cup total, depending on your tastes) and toss it in the sauce shortly before serving-just long enough to warm it up-not too long or it will start to separate and get mushy (technical cooking term there!). FYI you'll note I added chicken in this dish and you can see it added in in the photo with the coated spoon. Other mix-ins might include peas (toss in frozen peas to heat) or steamed sliced asparagus. Really, let your imagination and taste buds lead the way!

2 comments:

  1. I've always shyed away from Alfredo sauces because I'm not big on a lot of butter....but this doesn't have that much!!! I think I am going to lift the Alfredo ban and give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how it comes out. You really can tweak the butter ratio up or down depending on your preference. This recipe is pretty flexible which should make it fun to play with!

    ReplyDelete